Tiebreakers among teams with identical regular-season records were broken on Monday through random drawings to determine the order for this year’s draft prior to the lottery.
The results of the drawings were as follows:
- The Rockets (No. 2) won a tiebreaker with the Spurs (No. 3). Note: The lottery odds remain the same for both teams. The Rockets will draft ahead of the Spurs if neither lands in the top four.
- The Pacers (No. 7) won a tiebreaker with the Wizards (No. 8). Note: The Pacers will only get one extra lottery ball combination out of 1,000 than the Wizards.
- The Bulls (No. 11) won a tiebreaker with the Thunder (No. 12). Note: The Bulls only get one extra lottery ball combination out of 1,000 than the Thunder. Chicago’s pick could be conveyed to the Magic.
- The Heat (No. 18) won a tiebreaker with the Warriors and the Clippers. The Warriors (No. 19) won the tiebreaker with the Clippers (No. 20). Note: The Clippers’ pick will be conveyed to the Rockets.
- The Suns (No. 21) won a tiebreaker with the Nets (No. 22). Note: The results are negligible, since the Suns’ pick was traded to the Nets.
- The Grizzlies (No. 25) won a tiebreaker with the Cavaliers (No. 26). Note: The Cavaliers’ pick will be conveyed to the Pacers.
In the case of tiebreakers, second round order is the reverse of first round order except for the lottery teams. In that case, the second-round order could still change, depending on which team finishes higher in the lotter). In the case of the three-way tie at 18-20, the Heat will now draft No. 50 overall in the second round and the Clippers will pick No. 48. The Warriors’ pick at No. 49 is now owned by the Cavaliers.
The tiebreaker between the Rockets and Spurs didn’t decide which team gets the Rockets’ second-round pick. It will be conveyed to either the Pacers or Celtics once the lottery is conducted.