Also, OU added Arizona State punter Michael Turk this week.
Happy Saturday, friends and fans!
On Friday, the Oklahoma Sooners picked up a verbal commitment from 2023 three-star center Joshua Bates. The Durango, Colorado prospect also holds offers from the in-state Buffaloes, USC, Oregon and Michigan State.
— Joshua Bates (@JoshuaBates64) August 13, 2021
According to 247 Sports, Bates is the No. 3 player in the state of Colorado. With his commitment, OU’s 2023 class maintains its No. 1 status, nationally.
Now onto this week’s Saturday edition of Hot Links! ‘Mondre runs wild in debut, the Sooners add a punter via the transfer portal, three major collegiate conferences are in talks of teaming up and more!
- Earlier this week, former OU RB Rhamondre Stevenson made his NFL preseason debut in a big way with the New England Patriots. Check out this sensational 91-yard touchdown run against the Washington Football Team. On the night, Stevenson finished with 10 carries, 127 yards and two TDs.
THERE HE GOES!
91-YARD TD FOR @dreeday32
— New England Patriots (@Patriots) August 13, 2021
- Former Arizona State Sun Devils punter Michael Turk recently announced his decision to transfer to Oklahoma. Per rules, the junior specialist will not be eligible to play until after the 2021 season.
- Earlier this week, eight Sooners were named to the 2022 Reese’s Senior Bowl Watch List. The group includes OT Erik Swenson, S Delarrin Turner-Yell, OL Marquis Hayes, OL Tyrese Robinson, RB Kennedy Brooks, H-back Jeremiah Hall, DT Perrion Winfrey and DE Isaiah Thomas. Boomer!
— Oklahoma Football (@OU_Football) August 12, 2021
- Former Oklahoma and current Dallas Cowboys DT Neville Gallimore reportedly suffered a hyperextension injury in his left elbow during a preseason game against the Arizona Cardinals. A timetable for recovery is still to be determined.
- In case you missed it, OU plans to stripe the stadium (barring capacity restrictions) in the home opener against Western Carolina on Sept. 11. If you plan on attending this game, make sure you wear the right colored shirt!
☝️ month until we Stripe the Stadium!
— Oklahoma Football (@OU_Football) August 11, 2021
Around the Sports World
- Conference commissioners from the Big Ten, ACC and Pac-12 have reportedly been in communication about forming a future scheduling alliance.
- The Los Angeles Clippers and forward Kawhi Leonard have agreed to a four-year, $176 million contract extension for the five-time NBA All-Star.
- Florida Gators CB Jaydon Hill has been ruled out for the 2021 college football season after recently suffering a torn ACL.
- Free agent RB Derrius Guice has been suspended by the NFL for six games for a violation of the league’s personal conduct policy.
- On Friday, the San Francisco Giants signed All-Star shortstop Brandon Crawford to a two-year, $32 million contract extension.
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!