This is not the first — nor will it be the last — preseason honor for Rattler.
Happy Tuesday, friends and fans!
On Tuesday morning, Oklahoma Sooners QB Spencer Rattler was named to the 2021 Davey O’Brien National Quarterback Award Watch List.
— Oklahoma Football (@OU_Football) July 20, 2021
During the condensed 2020 college football season, Rattler proved himself worthy of carrying the mantle as OU’s starting QB. After a rough 1-2 start to the campaign, the Phoenix, Arizona product led his team to eight consecutive wins to close out the year. Over that stretch, he completed 145 of 223 (.650) passes for 2,054 passing yards, 18 touchdowns while throwing only three interceptions. Additionally, he accounted for 144 rushing yards and five more scores on 60 carries across that same span.
In program history, four Sooners have received the coveted O’Brien Award. That group includes legends like Jason White (‘03, ‘04), Sam Bradford (‘08), Baker Mayfield (‘17) and Kyler Murray (‘18). Obviously, if Spencer Rattler goes on to win the award this season, he’ll be joining some prestigious company.
Now onto today’s Hot Links! Expectations for the OU defense continue to climb, Oklahoma’s recruiting momentum hums along and more!
- The offseason is winding down as Oklahoma Football inches ever closer to the start of fall camp. With what the Sooners are working with, 2021 is arguably the most highly anticipated season in Norman in a decade. Fortunately for the rest of us, the wait is almost over!
— Oklahoma Football (@OU_Football) July 19, 2021
- Going into the 2021 season, Pro Football Focus rates OU with the top pass rushing unit in the nation. Considering who all is returning, that’s honestly not a farfetched claim to make.
Oklahoma D has come a long way pic.twitter.com/oiunc57jpF
— PFF College (@PFF_College) July 20, 2021
- Sooners Wire’s Matt Hubbard recently took a stab at how Oklahoma should use its stable of running backs. Eric Gray and Kennedy Brooks look like they’ll receive the bulk of the carries, but other players will undoubtedly see some meaningful reps this fall.
- Sooner Scoop’s Bob Przybylo covers OU recruiting as closely as anyone, and recently he wrote about the roll that the coaches have been on this summer when it comes to landing the commitments of some of the nation’s most coveted prospects.
- If you’d like to watch Sydney Romero and Nicole Mendes do work on the Olympic diamond, check out Team Mexico as they take on Team Canada this Wednesday (tonight) at 1 a.m. CT on NBCSN.
— Oklahoma Softball (@OU_Softball) July 19, 2021
Around the Sports World
- While training earlier this week, Los Angeles Rams RB Cam Akers suffered a torn Achilles tendon, which will cause him to miss the entire 2021 NFL season.
- Some time this offseason, the Green Bay Packers apparently offered Aaron Rodgers a contract deal that would have made the star gun slinger the highest-paid QB in the league. Interestingly enough, details have now emerged, reporting that he ultimately declined said offer.
- The Texas Rangers are discovering new lows with each passing day. Including their latest 14-0 loss to the Detroit Tigers, their losing streak has now reached six straight games. Now here’s where it gets really sad. In the last three games, the team has been outscored by a grand total of 29-0. Just how bad is that? Well, the MLB hasn’t seen such a stretch in 115 years. Yikes.
- After 30 years, Las Vegas Raiders team president Marc Badain has reportedly resigned from his position, effective immediately. Longtime executive VP Dan Ventrelle is set to take over as interim.
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!