Also, OU and Texas will kick off at 11 a.m. once again.
Happy Monday, friends and fans!
On Sunday, both Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray led their respective pro teams to a couple of dominant wins. The pair of Oklahoma Sooners Heisman Trophy winners now have their teams surging three weeks into the 2021 NFL season.
For the 2-1 Cleveland Browns, Mayfield led his team to a 26-6 demolition over the Chicago Bears. On the day, he finished with 246 yards, one touchdown and no interceptions on 19 of 31 passing while also adding 31 rushing yards on four carries.
Throw it up to @AustinHooper18!
— Cleveland Browns (@Browns) September 26, 2021
For the 3-0 Arizona Cardinals, Murray completed 28 of 34 passes for 316 yards and one INT in a 31-19 win over the Jacksonville Jaguars. On the ground, K1 added 19 yards and this one-yard TD in the first quarter.
— Arizona Cardinals (@AZCardinals) September 26, 2021
It’ll be interesting to see how the rest of Mayfield and Murray’s respective seasons play out over time. Up next for the Browns is a road test against the 1-2 Minnesota Vikings next Sunday. For the Cardinals, a trip to the 3-0 Los Angeles Rams in a battle of unbeatens.
Now onto this week’s Monday edition of Hot Links! OU-Texas set for a morning kick, AR12 inks a sweet rookie deal with LA, the baseball Cards keep streaking and more!
- I know you’ll all be shocked for this one, but it’s official — Oklahoma and Texas will kick-off the Red River Showdown at 11 a.m. CT on Saturday, Oct. 9. Television wise, ABC will carry the annual rivalry game. Regardless of how these past four weeks have played out, *Borat voice* I am very excite!
Red River Showdown time set.
— Oklahoma Football (@OU_Football) September 27, 2021
- The Lou Groza Award committee named OU placekicker Gabe Brkic one of four Stars of the Week. On Saturday night, he booted the Sooners to a 16-13 win over the West Virginia Mountaineers with his last second 30-yard field goal. On the season, the redshirt junior has successfully converted eight of 10 FGs, including four of five makes from beyond 50 yards.
Big performances in Week 4⃣ called for 4⃣ Stars of the Week!
— Lou Groza Award (@LouGrozaAward) September 27, 2021
- 247 Sports national college football analyst Brandon Marcello says Oklahoma has a quarterback problem with Spencer Rattler.
- Following OU’s win over WVU, Sooners Wire’s John Williams has the updated game-by-game win probability figures from ESPN’s Football Power Index rating.
- On Monday, former OU hoops star Austin Reaves signed a two-year, guaranteed deal with the Los Angeles Lakers after shining during the NBA Summer League. Boomer!
Just in time for camp
— Los Angeles Lakers (@Lakers) September 27, 2021
Around the Sports World
- The St. Louis Cardinals have extended their franchise’s longest winning streak to 16 games after rallying to defeat the Chicago Cubs, 4-2 on Sunday.
- Oft-suspended, former All-Pro WR Josh Gordon is reportedly set to join the Kansas City Chiefs upon being reinstated by the NFL.
- Clemson Tigers star DT Bryan Bresee has officially been ruled out for the remainder of the college football season after suffering a torn ACL in a loss to NC State last Saturday. Starting RB Will Shipley is also expected to miss some time with a leg injury.
- The Denver Nuggets have reportedly signed forward Michael Porter Jr. to a five-year, $172 million max contract extension worth up to $207 million, contingent on where he places on the All-NBA teams at the end of the 2021-22 season.
- After being dismissed from the team over the weekend, ex-Ohio State LB K’Vaughan Pope has reportedly entered the NCAA Transfer Portal.
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!