Coming off a win over Northern Iowa on Saturday night, Oklahoma State wrestled the top-ranked dual team in the Big 12 on Sunday at Iowa State and fell, 18-11.
The dual opened at 125 with Zach Blankenship falling to Caleb Fuessley. Daton Fix answered with a win at 133 to tie things back up at 3 heading into the 141-pound match.
That’s when things got a little weird. Carter Young wrestled a great match vs. Casey Swiderski getting a third-period rideout and a penalty point to win 3-0. The penalty point was assessed for Swiderski kicking Young while trying to escape. Both coaching staffs made their voices heard regarding the kicks leading both teams to get a team point deducted, making it 5-2 Oklahoma State going into 149.
Paniro Johnson used a quick tilt in the second period to score two and eventually beat Victor Voinovich 3-1 and tie the dual back up at 5.
Kaden Gfeller had a fun one with and Jason Kraisser. After a few scrambles didn’t lead to scores, Gfeller got a reversal and rideout in the third to win 3-1 and put OSU back in the lead. The teams continued to exchange blows as NCAA Champion David Carr beat Wyatt Sheets 5-3.
At 174 and 184 each team had a shot at bonus points but were unable to get it. Dustin Plott beat Julien Broderson 13-7, and Iowa State’s Marcus Coleman beat Gavin Stika 7-2 to tie the dual at 11.
Luke Surber used some great counter shots to get to Yonger Bastida’s legs but was never able to finish and fell 7-2 at 197. This set up the heavyweight match to decide the dual. Oklahoma State needed to win by at least four points in the HWT match to win the dual as Iowa State held match points criteria in a tiebreaker. The Cowboys sent out Kyle Haas vs. Sam Schuyler, but Haas was unable to get anything going offensively and fell 10-1
- 125: Caleb Fuessley (Iowa State) DEC Zach Blankenship (Oklahoma State) 10-4
- 133: Daton Fix (Oklahoma State) DEC Zach Redding (Iowa State) 8-3
- 141: Carter Young (Oklahoma State) DEC Casey Swiderski (Iowa State)
- 149: Paniro Johnson (Iowa State) DEC Victor Voinovich (Oklahoma State) 3-1
- 157: Kaden Gfeller (Oklahoma State) DEC Jason Kraisser (Iowa State) 3-1
- 165: David Carr (Iowa State) DEC Wyatt Sheets (Oklahoma State) 5-3
- 174: Dustin Plott (Oklahoma State) DEC Julien Broderson (Iowa State) 13-7
- 184: Marcus Coleman (Iowa State) DEC Gavin Stika (Oklahoma State) 7-2
- 197: Yonger Bastida (Iowa State) DEC Luke Surber (Oklahoma State) 7-2
- HWT: Sam Schuyler (Iowa State) DEC Kyle Haas (Oklahoma State) 10-1