OU survived the college football season’s most chaotic weekend yet.
POLL ALERT: Iowa up to No. 3, Cincinnati to No. 5, BYU to No. 10 in AP Top 25; Kentucky, Texas, SMU, SDSU in; Clemson out.
— AP Top 25 (@AP_Top25) October 3, 2021
Full AP Top 25 rankings below:
- Penn State
- Ohio State
- Michigan State
- Oklahoma State
- Notre Dame
- Coastal Carolina
- Ole Miss
- Wake Forest
- Arizona State
- NC State
- San Diego State
News and notes:
- On Saturday, the Alabama Crimson Tide and Georgia Bulldogs annihilated the Ole Miss Rebels and Arkansas Razorbacks, respectively, further solidifying their claims as the nation’s top two teams.
- Coming into the weekend, the Oregon Ducks looked like the Pac-12 Conference’s last hope for reaching the College Football Playoff, but after suffering a stunning overtime upset against the Stanford Cardinal, it looks like the league may have to wait until next year to accomplish those lofty postseason aspirations.
- The Cincinnati Bearcats made arguably the biggest statement in Week Five after traveling to South Bend and coming away with a convincing 24-13 victory over the Notre Dame Fighting Irish. If UC can navigate the rest of its schedule without a loss, this might be the best chance any Group of Five team has had to crash the playoff party in the CFP era.
- Mike Gundy’s Oklahoma State Cowboys limped through the non-conference portion of their schedule, but since Big 12 play began, they’ve looked like a legitimate top 15 squad. Most recently, they defeated a hot Baylor Bears team behind a strong running game and a stout defense. It’ll be interesting to see how long OSU can keep up this winning streak as a potential top 10 Bedlam matchup with serious conference title implications looms in the distance.
- The Texas Longhorns are back inside the top 25 after taking care of business against the TCU Horned Frogs this weekend, setting up the first Red River Showdown in which both teams are ranked. In related news, ESPN’s College GameDay recently announced that it’s also headed to Dallas for this annual rivalry contest inside the historic Cotton Bowl. Boomer!
️ RED RIVER SHOWDOWN
— College GameDay (@CollegeGameDay) October 3, 2021
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!